Anyone killing ducks?

Home Forums Online Lodge Anyone killing ducks?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Thadp 3 years ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author

DU870
    Participant

My season got off to slow start. Being a new Dad has taken its toll on the birds. I got out on opener and took my son along, much to my wife’s chagrin. He was taking a nice nap in the truck as I went on my milk run of wood duck pot holes( I was only away from the truck a couple minutes at a time) Luckily one of the pot holes had some wood ducks on it. I shot a nice drake, thinking I will have it mounted. Had my Dad up from Iowa last weekend and we had a good hunt. Ended up with 4 wood ducks, 2 mallards and a nice drake black duck for 2 days of hunting. The big mature green heads seem to be around a lot earlier this year. Good groups of birds working the blocks but as hunting goes, the wind was not exactly right and many slipped off out of range. The little river I hunt is about 12-15 feet wide, hard to work birds right in. On Sunday morning we landed 4 right in the blocks, had a group of 8 committed and then had another 3 to 4 groups swinging around. To bad it was 5 minutes before legal. The other bad part was Dixie broke on me and chased the birds down the river. That was a first for her and I was a little surprised. She was convinced she could catch those ducks. Deer hunting is coming up so I will go back to the same old struggle of sitting in a tree or sitting on the river. When I sit in the tree and watch the ducks work the rivers, its not all bad. I still get to see the birds. Then it seems when I sit on the river, the deer come right up and investigate. Had a nice 10 pointer at 15 yards last year. The deer had a stair down with the dog. Made for a funny couple minutes. Good luck guys, get after em and post some stories!

Attachments:

littleponderosa
    Participant

du870, appears i ran off all the ducks from the mud hole. no migrators yet, still have some teal & woodies on the bighorn, but i’m trying to get all my projects completed prior to winter. the few scouting trips i’ve made, i found very few birds. chopping corn, pulling beets, combining peas and sorghum and there is nothing flying to the fields – dam.

too cool to take the boy out.

Bill

dka
    Participant

That’s the way to start them out!

Anonymous

I haven’t even taken a gun off the rack yet.

The kiddos have had stuff every weekend day. On the plus side, the oldest qualified for the state cross country meet as a freshman (freshwoman?) On the down side, watching cross country mixes the thrill of youth track and field with the visual appeal of an F1 race. You watch them run by once, and clap. When it is over, someone tells you who won.

Both kids decided they want to ski a lot this year.

January of ’16 is looking good for me, though.

Klobkilzduk
    Participant

Ahhh….XC….glorious sport. You do know you need to move around right Cup??

Thadp
    Participant

Have not been out yet this year to busy with swim and polo. Did get down to Fresno to watch the ‘dogs get beat by the Reno Wolf Pack.

littleponderosa
    Participant

dam ducks up and left my close in spots. birds on the bighorn, and our season re-opens after the 1st ever f*ckin split
    enjoy the day.
    Bill

K W
    Participant

4 weeks from Saturday before we open. I’ll have to shoot deer till then.

Clickster
    Participant

Good one for Charlie and I

Swamp Gas
    Participant

Good to see u here click.

Swamp Gas
    Participant

Had a few good hunts. But the season got cut short due to the cold snap.

Swamp Gas
    Participant

.Remember dipper?

Swamp Gas
    Participant

. mixed bag

DU870
    Participant

Our marshes and small ponds are froze up. I am hoping to get one or two more cracks at them before we close in early December. I found a little river just south of town that had 5-700 hundred on it. Might try to find the fields they are using. Birds are sitting in the city limits and going out to feed. Finding time to get out is the hard part.

Swamp Gas
    Participant

Below zero forecasted tonight. My ice auger took about a dozen pulls to fire. Just have to spool up a couple rods.

littleponderosa
    Participant

Yellowstone froze over completely last night with the floaters. If we don’t get a break soon, it will be traveling to the ‘horn for the rest of the season. Always a couple of open spots due to some under river springs, but have lost access to a lot of the surrounding ground. Tonight will be shift 12 of the 19 day run – small light at the end of the tunnel right now. Not much satisfaction typing that shit.
    Bill

Swamp Gas
    Participant

Cough cough cough.

Work when you’re sick. Call in sick when you’re catching, killing or banging shit.

Looks like a warm up here Bill. Just not until next weekend.

littleponderosa
    Participant

damn, i’ve evidently forgotten how to count. last night was actually #13 of a 23 shift run. can’t imagine what in the hell is wrong with me other than greed and the capacity to be an idiot. i do get off tomorrow morning @ 0600 and don’t have to go back till tuesday day shift @ 0545. i’m just shot and need some sleep. going from the office running the crew and out on the control board is just wearing me down. too much stress again, or maybe i just give a shit too much.

Shoot ’em up fellas.
    Bill

Thadp
    Participant

Starting the pumps on Wednesday. The Neighbors pond is covered with birds watching them move off as I passed by they didn’t behave like locals.

Did manage one dove with one shot of course. Now I am home preparing for the feast.

Jerry
    Participant

Yes Our season started yesterday it was slow we killed 4 but there was a lot in the air high fling scared.

Today we got 14-1, 5 Grays, 4 Teal, 4 Spoons, 1 Mallard and 1 Speck.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed