Cash Crop Ideas

Home Forums Online Lodge Cash Crop Ideas

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of DU870 DU870 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Keymaster

Skipping ahead to legal cash crops…

I want to unleash the kids on at least 3 of the tillable acres on the marsh to earn summer $$ at the local famers market.

From my research sweet basil turns a nice dollar (because of the local restaurant demand) but not if it’s wilted during a drought.

Any ideas on how to split up the average to give them a good shop at running their own operation?

IR1SH
    Participant

have them grow you some weed…

Thadp
    Participant

The cash crop out here is weed.

JC
    Participant

Watermelons….on all 3 acres! Big, fat, juicy ones. Have them pitch a tent and guard the melons at nite w/ their smokepoles in-hand to ward-off the thieving bruthas. On Sundays, take the melons to market in the hood on Chicago’s west and south sides. The bruthas and sistuhs will pay top dollar for ripe n juicy melons.

They’ll learn how to run a biz, manage the overhead to produce a profit and learn sales and marketing traits to help them down the road in their careers. The social skiils they learn will be invaluable to them as they learn racial tolerance and how to interface and integrate w/ the blacks, spics, slant eyes and such. Not to mention how they’ll gain great experience intermingling w/ the opposite sex and learning the ways and desires of the sistuhs.

1Cup
    Participant

You’d have a year of lag time, but organic popcorn.

Plus, as the harvest methods for it are pretty inefficient, you get a good, lawful food source next to the marsh.

DU870
    Participant

Some popular ones up here at our Farmers Market- Anything organic.

Tomatoes are very popular along with Peppers. I see a lot of pepper stands. Recently most of the produce market has been taken over by Hmong folks, they pretty much control it.

You will have some up front cost with tilling, fertilizer, lime and will probably need some fence to keep deer and other critters out of there.

JC had a good one- Watermelons. They are easy to grow and everyone likes watermelon.

Awhile back a rich local land owner was fighting the city on taxes. They wanted him to pay 43,000 a acre. So he grew pumpkins and donated them to several area non profits. The nonprofits then sold to make money. The guy got to write off the expense and then missed the taxes since he grew them for non profits. Pretty smart really.

Thadp
    Participant

$43k an acre!  I thought our taxes were bad.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Flowers seems to be good seller at our local farmers market as well.  Not sure which ones though.  I’ll have to do some more research on those.

One neighbor to our property has 4 horses and a big winter-pile of manure.  Will that be ok for “organic”?

JC
    Participant

Watermelons are easy to grow and highly resistant to bug infestation, soil contamination, crotch rot and the clap as long as you fertilize them monthly w/ heaps of cowsHit, horsesHit, sheepsHit, chickensHit, pig sHit and dogsHit. But no peoplesHit…..that’s what Mexicans and the Hmong use and as a result they produce small and juiceless melons. You want what the bruthas n sistuhs want….fat n juicy n pink in the middle.

DU870
    Participant

From listening to some organic folks here is what I have heard. The land has to be certified organic and for that to happen, no chemicals, fertilizers- pretty much nothing can be applied to the land for 5 years. Then after that 5 years you can claim organic. If you are using your hunting grounds, I imagine you might be able to get the certification as nothing has been grown there.

The horse manure might be organic if the horses fed in a organic field and ate organic food- like organic corn and oats for example.

My father in law looked briefly into the organics for his black angus. He said the cost were so high that the organic meat would not create enough income to over come the cost.

Flowers would be a good idea, there are a ton of flower fields south of Madison. They are local farmers market sales people. I do notice they are in the fields a lot and mean ever time I drive by they are out there. They also have a ton of scare crows and different devices to scare birds off. Birds must like flowers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed