Doves for anyone?

Home Forums Online Lodge Doves for anyone?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas Quinlen 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

littleponderosa
    Participant

oh yeah — time is here for some fun. i cannot be the only one pumped up for this.

made plans to return to the slaying spot last year, total of 5 public spots reserved for the 1st 3 days. smaller group than normal, only 4 of us for 1 day, 3 after that.

have had a great year gaining access, have pheasant ground already reserved for 1 week, ducks for 5 days and all the goose ground anyone could want. gonna try some new ground this year where i haven’t had access to previously.

Bill

Anonymous

No good dove spot yet but goose opens here Monday and we have a nice little wheat field that they’re feeding in daily. when we shoot ’em out of there we have access to all the other open wheat fields around. 95% of our whet has soybeans in it due to the mild moist summer we were having. Hopefully some one will start cutting corn for silage and create a dove hot spot for the following weekend.

Thadp
    Participant

Had to work for it but I got my limit this morning.

littleponderosa
    Participant

attaboy thadp. 4 total, 2 limits and 13 for the others. mosquitos were bad, ate bug juice like it was liquid steriods and then got real hungry.
    all in all, good opener.
    Bill

dka
    Participant

Haven’t seen the birds here in any good numbers yet, so instead of hunting, I finished the shelves in the garage. Now to get the other garage empty so I can fill this one up. Goodwill likes seeing me come around. Everyone should move at least once every 26 yrs.

Thadp
    Participant

Flight was nonexistent, mosquitos were bad I look like a peg board this morning. My son Blake headed out with a couple of buddies to what should have been a hot spot and they managed less than a dozen between them.

Tough year for doves and now bring on the rain or the duck hunting is going to suck.

littleponderosa
    Participant

day 2 was a hoot. 3 guys, 3 limits. mosquitos were nearly non-existant, not completely but acceptable.
    lotsa birds today in a wheat field not disc’ed yet. planning on same spot in the morn for just 2 of us. gonna have to get more permission slips for thursday and the weekend.
    jalepeno’s cleaned, need some more philly cheese. bacon thawed and i’m ready to hoover.
    Bill

Thadp
    Participant

We cooked ours up tonight and had four left for lunch if they survive the night……the kids love them.

Dirt Clods Die Too
    Participant

Great opener here…..We had 3 sunflower fields we put in. About a mile apart in a triangle. Shot 270. We let them rest yesterday….and probably today. Head back tomorrow afternoon. Teal season starts Saturday. Sposed to get a well-timed front on Friday night, and then a bigger one next Wed.

Nice to feel that recoil again……

Happy hunting.

littleponderosa
    Participant

day 3 coulda/woulda been excellent. set up same spot as tuesday, 2 of us and around 0815 a contract construction crew set up doing dirt work for what appears to be a high speed internet line out to the country – just a guess, but looked like the same crew that put mine in however the hell long ago.

16 total birds and i had some things that needed to be taken care of later. split just @ 1145.

new spot tomorrow – was fabulous last year. up a wide ass coulee that holds a ton of wheat ground. shot limits every trip last year – kinda been saving it for me and my bud again.

steve, good to see ya back.

Bill

Dirt Clods Die Too
    Participant

I mingle in and out, Bill. Don’t wanna let this place get too comfortable not having an A-Hole around!!! LOL!!

90 more last night. Resting the fields til Saturday. Since we’ve got the 3, we rotated to a different patch last night. 6 limits. Saturday we’ll head to 3rd patch, and I think Sunday morning back to the hot hole! They’re all kinda hot right now….

Good luck today, Bill!!

Side note: Didn’t realize I hadn’t mentioned it here, til I just talked to Bill on the phone. I’m a month into fatherhood. 1 month today, as a matter of fact. Baby boy. My wife is F-ed!! LOL!!! She basically gets to be favorite for the 1st couple years on account of her having the tits and patience with the diapers….then she’s gonna need a hobby or another kid, cause he’s gonna have a new favorite then!!

Happy hunting all…

Dirt Clods Die Too
    Participant

Ok…..So I screwed up. He’s 4 weeks today. Not 1 month. My wife informed me of that….such a sweetheart she is….1 month On the 7th.

As if anyone gives a……..LOL!!

littleponderosa
    Participant

congrats bro. glad to hear baby and mama doing well.

Bill

dka
    Participant

Congrats on the little one.

DU870
    Participant

My dove opener and the following 2 days was a total bust. I mainly hunt DNR sun flowers and they were not holding birds. Sun flowers were immature, the mowed fields had grass in them and some fields were not mowed. Maybe seen 30 birds in 3 days of hunting. We eneded up with 8 birds total. Even driving around looking to ask permission on private fields, the dove were scarce.

littleponderosa
    Participant

today was not good, except i fed the mosquitos. hunted this hole in past seasons and has held birds well. nearly perfect for out here – wheat field with a run-off ditch that at this time of year has open rock bars, surrounded by russian olives and large cottonwoods. 6 birds total for 3 of us. i thought the skeeters were kinda bad previous this week, today made that seem mild. poor black dog is tired i do believe from blood loss.
    enjoy the weekend fellas.

Bill

Thomas Quinlen
    Participant

Damon, congrats. On the one hand, I feel sorry for the poor boy, being raised by you and Uncle Carp. On the other hand, your wife must be a pretty good woman, and the kid will definitely have plenty of hunting opportunities.

Doves around here have been fair. My son and I have shot a couple of limits each the past two weekends, had one hunt where we shot 11 each, but we were in the coldest spot on the field.

Huge storms going through right now, with more tomorrow, so I am not sure what this weekend will hold.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed