Hercules

Home Forums Online Lodge Hercules

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Emrduck Emrduck 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

He’s a com’in! Bearing down w/ ferocious snow n winds as he blasts into the Northeast tonite and into tomorrow.

Forecasting a major migration of King Eiders that will be blown southwestward into the LA and TX marshes and coastland. It was reported that Old Squaws and Surf Scoters are flying enmass on a WSW route into the OH and IL river valleys and will stage by the assloads at Reelfoot Lake.

Go getcha some!!!

Profile photo of Kjnlog
    Kjnlog
    Participant

JC I just cleaned up my Eider decoys yesterday in preparation. I didn’t get my an Old Squaw in Alaska so maybe I might nab me a straggler this weekend…

Profile photo of Yu
    Yu
    Participant

I don’t know how old she was but got a Big Squaw when Yu were here KJN.

Profile photo of Kjnlog
    Kjnlog
    Participant

LOL…..uhhhh forgot about that one….

Profile photo of Webmaster
    Webmaster
    Keymaster

Been a while since we seen a snow cover map like this:

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/snowNESDISus.gif

Canada goose hunting is going to be good in places it hasn’t been in years.

Profile photo of dka
    dka
    Participant

I’ll vouch for that. 2000 was the last time I’ve had this many Canada’s. unbelievable # of specs. suprisingly,not so w/snows, yet.

Profile photo of Yu
    Yu
    Participant

Snow drifts 3 to 4 feet here on Sunday afternoon in a very short period of time.

We stuck three trucks 1/4 mile from the state highway. One truck was full of gas the other was 1/4 and the third was dead. Staying was not an option. Temp was zero and falling to negative 12.

Sherriff said no plows or help coming, good luck.

One of my guys is vertically challenged and not in the best of shape. Plus I had my lab. A buddy made it to the intersection of our road and the highway and gave us a call. Off we went.

We made it, but it was a very scary situation.

Two hours earlier the road was clear. The Road Commissioner told us yesterday he plowed it an hour before we came out. We could have made it if we stayed in the fields, in the bad areas the road drops below field grade.

Yesterday in -3 weather, we had to use our resources/equipment to dig out. Wouldn’t you know, geese all over us. We decided we had made enough bad decisions and didn’t try to get the next 2 miles back to our property.

Alternator out in one truck. Broken brake line on another. 1 goose.

This is by far my most expensive year.

What a f’ning season

Profile photo of Webmaster
    Webmaster
    Keymaster

Yu,

I hear ya on the season complaints. Mine was an absolute bust. At this point I’m hoping to salvage it someway with a nice spring snow goose hunt for the boys and I.

Profile photo of dka
    dka
    Participant

We go to the end of Jan. Might need to plan a WFC/Reelfoot excursion. Yu better not forget the last weekend deal we talked about. In fact, it would be great if any of the other members would be interested. Lake locked up night before last. Field is wearing them out. Some reason it was meant to be that I didn’t get my pump turned on when I usually do. Dry feeding like crazy. Back in the 30’s and 40’s, well will be on.

Profile photo of duckdown1
    duckdown1
    Participant

Thats weird webby and Yu. We have had our best season in a long time we were killing geese up until Sunday. Not sure if they stuck it out through this last storm. Going in the AM to check it out. Duck season was very good, Sunday while goose hunting we were still covered up with Mallards.

Profile photo of Kjnlog
    Kjnlog
    Participant

Ours has been a total bust. Havent shot a mallard yet! I too am hoping to save the season with a snow goose hunt in Mo in March with some.buddies from the site. Haven’t hunted with Lil Ponderosa or Skee in a while. Lookin forward to seein those guys almost as much as hunt

Profile photo of DU870
    DU870
    Participant

This cold snap pushed the local geese out and It is has been some time since I have seen that. Most of the water is frozen and I am not even seeing the small flocks heading out in the afternoon. The river is still holding some birds and they are feeding in the cow crap spread out in the fields. Some real die hard birds.

I know some folks through FB and my Hardcore gig that are wearing the birds out in Kansas, Southen Missouri and Oklahoma. I guess the hunting in SD was unbelievable this year. When I read these reports, it makes me wish I didn’t live in the cheddar head state.

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Total bust here too! 2011 was a fair yr, 2012 was a poor year and 2013 has been absolutely horrible. Plenty of birds in the area but all are patterned because of the lack of weather and moisture. No measureable rain since 9/13/13….2013 driest yr on record for CA. Forecast is for 0 rain rest of Jan. I haven’t hunted the past 3 wks….what for! Every day is dry, blue sky, 60’s temps, not a breath of wind. I’ve never watched so much FB and gone to the movies so much as I have this season. Seriously thinking about getting out of Cali hunting w/ the climate change and the thousands of acres of flooded rice where hunting isn’t allowed(rice straw decomp). I could go to Canada for 2-3 wks for less than what it costs me to hunt here and still have money left over for some out of state hunts. Gottdamn depressing!

Profile photo of Emrduck
    Emrduck
    Participant

JC, I agree 100% with you. I have gone out two-three times a week and since dec 12 have yet to see a duck to shoot at. I have as of last week started picking up decoys so as to avoid the last minute rush. Don’t have any idea what next year will provide (no complaint about the club) but the lack of opportunity just doesn’t support the cost- benefit. At my age I don’t intend to fight the refuge “opportunity!” I have hunted in California since the mid 50’s and thought I’d seen it all, but not this! Something has got to change in this state or waterfowl hunting will go the way of deer hunting in calif!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed