Hey Cali Folks

Home Forums Online Lodge Hey Cali Folks

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Aussie05 Aussie05 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aussie05
    Participant

Any of you fellas done any hunting around Dos Palos or Los Banos?  Just did a DG Market in Dos Palos but had to stay in Los Banos. Seen a ton of birds around there during my commute. Looked like a bunch of spoonies but seen other ducks too. Looked like most of the land was either private or refuge, but they did have a WMA a little ways off the road that I never checked out. Just curious.

JC
    Participant

Curious? Or just being nosey? That’s ThadP’s neck of the woods. The area is called the Grasslands. At one time one of the biggest native grasslands in North America…..a bazillion birds. Then ThadP and his Portagee clan immigrated there in the 50’s and the place went to hell in a handbasket. They plowed under the grass and marshes and planted their tomatos and squash and raised cattle.

I hunted there my 1st move to CA ’75-77. Leased some pastureland that was flooded. Hunted from a plastic cattle trough sunk in the dirt and shot an azzload x 2 of spoons, sprig, teal and some cans….lots of cinns too! A mallard was a trophy. Today, they still hunt the flooded pastures, sit in pit blinds, eat linguisa sandwiches, drink cheap Portagee wine, shoot spoons and watch the cow paddies float bye.

Aussie05
    Participant

Thad hunts private stuff. Not trying to get in on his ducks anyway. I’ve bought enough licensees for one year anyway. Just genuine curiosity.

Thadp
    Participant

Aussie you were in the heart of some of the best public land hunting in CA.  I have an office in LB and I wish I’d have known you were in town.    The San Luis Refuge you were near is the place that the Tule Elk were conserved and they have a couple of huge bulls  in the area.

Aussie05
    Participant

Gonna meet up with you one day Thad. I was only there for 2 days then had to run up to NV for 1 day then back down to Riverside,  then AZ.  Was running behind because of the Okie hunt so I didn’t have any down time.

Would also like to stop in and see how the blue ball is doing. He been treating you ok?

JC
    Participant

Aussie, just tell ThadP the truth. Unlike Click, Dipper, Mark and Lane….you’re uncomfortable hanging out w/ clean, educated, well-kept and morally principled guys that have all their teeth.

Aussie05
    Participant

Not at all the case. Thad has gotten the Mike Carpenter stamp of approval so I’m sure he’s an ok guy. :mrgreen:

Dipper Dave
    Participant

JC’s just pissed he doesn’t qualify for a hat

Thadp
    Participant

Give me some notice next time and we’ll shoot, fish, drink or something.

Aussie05
    Participant

I know I’m supposed to be that way around the 8th of Feb to do 3 more DG Markets but I don’t know which cities yet. I should find out next week or so.

Yu
    Participant

Aussie,

You won’t like drinking with Thad. He will get all the girls and he will set his wine glass on top of your head while you are looking up at him.

JC
    Participant

“we’ll shoot, fish, drink or SOMETHING”……Aussie, beware of the something. When he puts his hands on your shoulders and starts licking the back of your neck you’ll know that the something is coming.

Aussie05
    Participant

I think I’ll be ok. :lol:

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed