New Project

Home Forums Online Lodge New Project

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Thadp 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

littleponderosa
    Participant

So I up and bought a 1970 John Deere 140H3 garden tractor. Came with a mower deck, front blade, tiller and snowblower. Needed – ok wanted a new winter project and I’m sure I got it. Looks like I should have the tractor running by Jan and snowblower at the same time. Work over the tiller and mower deck by spring and all should be good.
    Didn’t need it at all, but the price was excellent. $350 for all. For the price, I’d have to be a bigger fool than I normally am to pass it up. Looks damn nice or just too cool next to the 4520.
    Anyone ever owned or played with one of these old boys?
    I’d take advice if anyone has any.
    Bill

DU870
    Participant

Sounds like you will be ready to put in some food plots.

Anonymous

If you use the front blade, or get the little loader bucket that goes with it, either get the wheel weights or (both) fill the rear tires (use a tube style tire) with saline solution or anti-freeze. They get tippy. Also, you might want to retrofit a rollbar for the same reason.

If you do the saline, make sure the wheel interior metal is well coated with paint or preservative.

The turf tires aren’t worth a crap if you use it off the lawn; the lugged tires will chew up your lawn. Chains over turf tires make a decent compromise for the winter.

littleponderosa
    Participant

Damon, that damn calcium chloride is nasty stuff. Pumped way too much in the old family garage. I’m looking for some wheel weights and I’ll build a suitcase weight holder for the front. I’m thinking I’m going with lugged tires on the rear and the old 3 rib style on the front. I’ve got some work to do prior to 1st out of the garage trip, but it should be fun.
    Sun shined on this dogs ass last week.
    Bill

dka
    Participant

Good luck with your project. Happy Holidays!

littleponderosa
    Participant

Damn, I’ve spent over 3 hours just digging the crap out of the hydro transmission area. Finally found the screw on filter and the main culprit to the major leak issue. Broken hydraulic line that feeds the hydraulic spool was severed at the fitting, still waiting on John Deere for delivery of service manual and parts manual. This is gonna be a helluva lot longer project to get it up and running than I was led to believe. Disc brakes appear to be completely shot, many springs are broken, entire wiring harness needs to be rebuilt, most of the hardware is loose. Mule drive cover needs to be welded prior to use of either snowblower or mower deck. Mower deck is missing the 1st in line quill and I may have to cut and reweld a new section in since this is now canted severely.
    Glad I spent only what I did, looking at the minimum of 1500 to get most of it going, at that is only going to be the mechanicals. If I do a complete teardown/paint & reassembly I’m guessing 2000 to 2500.
    The old “buyer beware” has come back to bite my ass.
    Bill

dka
    Participant

LOL!

Yu
    Participant

Like most 1970-1990 tractors, my Ford is yard art. It runs, but we use it only as a PTO for a 4 inch pump every other year or so if the water levels are too low for larger pumps.
    They are fun for about a year, after that, for parades only.

littleponderosa
    Participant

yu are probably correct. this should go thru most of the fun stuff – some wrenching, some cutting, some welding, some metal beating back into shape and a couple 3 gallons of green and maybe 1.5 gallons of yellow thru the sprayer. now if the hydro isn’t shot and this is simply repairs – i will be good. i knew this wasn’t exactly gonna be perfect but i haven’t ran into a machine that had so little maintenance done to it for a spell. evidently some folk don’t enjoy garage time like i do. hahaha
    Bill

Thadp
    Participant

It will be nice when you get it done.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed