Outdoor Cats – New Study

Home Forums Online Lodge Outdoor Cats – New Study

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Kjnlog Kjnlog 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Webmaster
    Keymaster

A new study has been published on the annual predation totals of free-range domestic cats (see the home page).

I think everybody knew it was “a lot” but these new numbers are more than alarming — with cats killing around 2.4 BILLION birds a year.

We let a neighbor trap on our marsh each year and he really piles up the feral cats.  No wonder we struggle on upland bird and rabbit numbers around here.

By comparison, the annual duck harvest for the entire US hovers around 15 million and the goose harvest near 3 million.

JC
    Participant

Well I’ll be go to hell! I thought Crow and his clan had this situation well under control.

MACHINE
    Participant

“EAT MORE PUSS Y”

Aussie05
    Participant

Whats the limit on feral cats?

JC
    Participant

Let’s not forget to savor more beavers too!

DU870
    Participant

Growing up in Iowa, shooting a feral cat was up there with shooting a limit of roosters or green heads. We would go out of our way to dispatch a cat. Now we wouldn’t shoot them if they were with in sight of a house or farm. If they were out in the middle of no where, they were shot.

Now I know it is technically illegal to shoot cats in WIsco, remember the outrage a few years over allowing hunters to shoot feral cats…well anyway…many of us never got the memo that cat season was closed. A rage broad head will take a cats head off….so I heard.

Klobkilzduk
    Participant

My buddy got bit by a cat once and had to have rabies shots. He HATED cats after that and would go out of his way to dispatch every one he could. It was kind of evil actually….

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Well, the good news is this subject is really gaining publicity and concern — as it should.

From a battle ground stand point, it will be eco-birder vs fluffy cat lovers.

We can just sit back and hope science wins and we can clean up the mess that exists in the great outdoors.

Feral cats are no different than feral dogs or pigs.  When they are no longer domestic they are wild — that’s the definition.  As such, they are an invasive species and should be dealt with accordingly.

I’ve always held the belief that animal rights is based on eye size and cuteness factor — so cats have gotten a “buy” in the past.

It is estimated that 70 million feral cats live in the US.  By comparison there are only 4 million feral hogs in the US and we don’t cut them slack in term of management and control.

IR1SH
    Participant

Dr J is gonna be pissed…

LOL!

Dipper Dave
    Participant

Mark an I try to do our part on dispatching ditch tigers, skunks, coons, etc.

MACHINE
    Participant

Perro
    Participant

Any more I find these numbers suspect. Is this world wide? How would they know? More likely some jackass got taxpayer money to feed numbers into a computer until he got a number that matched up with his hypotheses.

Same thing they do with global warming.

And don’t think I’m a cat lover, I’ve killed my share. But I’ve killed feral dogs too.

IR1SH
    Participant

A little closer with an IC choke and #6 shot!!!  Buh-bye pussies!

Thadp
    Participant

Must have been thinking about what Perro posted as my dream last night involved ferral cats, hippies and a tub grinder.  ‘Course it could have been the vapors from the fabric softner on the clean sheets.

Swamp Gas
    Participant

I have heard a .45 cal round ball and a wrist rocket can be effective.  In an urban environment of course.  Anywhere noise is a concern i’ll  take a scattergun.  They can move quick.

Perro
    Participant

3 aspirin ground up and mixed into a ping pong sized chunk of raw hamburger. No muss no fuss and it goes home to died.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Perro — I don’t think the guys in black helicopters are helping the Smithsonian and US Fish and wildlife cook the books on these numbers.  :)

The primary reason for a US study was that all the “cat” support groups were using UK studies to support their argument for creating feral cat colonies.

The popularity in these Trap-neuter-return (TNR) colonies are creating micro-predator colonies all over the US — thanks to ASPCA support.

Scientists from Cornell have come out in support of the study as well:

Ken Rosenberg, a conservation scientist at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology and John Fitzpatrick, director of the Cornell Lab, comment on the devastating impact feral and domestic cats have on native birds and other animal populations in light of a groundbreaking study released this week by the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Rosenberg:

“The people involved in this study are of the highest scientific integrity and they went into this very objectively. The science is very clear and unequivocal on this topic, and it is time for action. It’s time for all the groups to sit down and come up with some solutions.”

“The bulk of the killing is being done by feral, non-owned cats. The incredible proliferation of trap-neuter-return programs has produced cat colonies on public lands, fed by volunteers and sanctioned by municipalities. Instead of the animals dying off, people are dropping off more cats and the colonies are ballooning.”

Fitzpatrick concludes:

“Outdoor cats kill birds – it’s their instinct. Please stop any and all support for feral cat colonies. These are subsidized recreational killers, and we now have a clear understanding of the scale of carnage they bring to our wild bird communities. Please also keep pet cats indoors. Even your own cute tabby is a mortal danger to birds.”

1Cup
    Participant

Does it really come as a surprise that wild, roaming puss causes a problem?

JC
    Participant

If the gal in the video is so concerned and upset that puddy cat is getting hurt why doesn’t the stupid biatch break-up the fight?

Cornbread
    Participant

Not to me.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.