SNOWS BABY SNOWS !!!

Home Forums Goose Hunting SNOWS BABY SNOWS !!!

This topic contains 24 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Hannibal Hannibal 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY-SANTOLI
    Participant

So what is everyone doing for snows this year???

Any reports? Lets get it going

AS

littleponderosa
    Participant

ok, 1st weekend in March I will be in Mound City MO and then slowly traveling towards SD during the week to hunt the 2nd weekend around Mitchell or north towards Ipswich area.

I’m pumped — never hunted MO and the fitter I have hunted with in SD is a good dude.

Mag Tube Extension showed up – patternmaster choke ready for re-install – 2 cs of 3″ #2′s and 1 case of 3.5″ #2′s — oh yeah.

Bill

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Bill – sounds like an awesome trip.  I’m looking for a place in Iowa to take the kids for a fast weekend trip.

Hannibal
    Participant

Can’t freaking wait!!!!  Heading down to NW Missouri early February to begin preparations and if anything like last year could even kill a few.  Right now the snow line is North of me in Des Moines, IA so unless we get some snow that sticks over the next few weeks (which the long term forecast sure does not suggest) there could be some early birds pushing ahead……mostly adults is what we observed last year.  Tons and tons of birds early but pretty tough to kill.

I hope they string out this year like years past.  Get the equipment tuned up, batteries charged, decoys cleaned, fliers put back together and in working order and mud those layouts, dress the blinds etc, etc, etc.

The line of a snow goose hunter…….it is a lot of work but the rewards can be UNBELIEVABLE at times!!!!

Good luck all on your Spring hunts and be safe!!!

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Yeah with current weather patterns this spring migration is anyone’s guess.

What kind of fliers or flyer system are you using?

Hannibal
    Participant

A mix of silo flyers (12′ish) and the tanglefree flyers (12′ish).  Also have two arm rotary and use it periodically.   Try to spread them out over upwind side of spread and a few over water.  We hunt a combination field/water setup primarily.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

The kids have ben watching youtube vids of snow goose hunting for a week straight.  I think they have the bug bad.  :lol:

Dukguy
    Participant

Gonna try and kill some around the Hoxie-Jonesboro, AR area as soon as the C.O. starts!  Gonna hunt with a  kid who is supporting himself at Arkansas State Univ by guiding around that area.  he has got a pretty good set up with 800 silosocks, spinners and flappers  and an e-caller and is very economical compared to some of the other guides in the area.  But he works just as hard to put us under birds!

Hannibal
    Participant

Good luck Dukguy…….let us know how things go?  It is colder than a witches tit up here in Iowa at the moment but really no snow to stop the birds.  It should be interesting to see how quickly they migrate North when the warm weather arrives.  I have heard of birds in the middle to upper part of Missouri already.  I’m sure mostly adults and still has to be bazillions South as Anthony has suggested.

Looking forward to a great year.

Flatsman
    Participant

Bill,

I hear that outfitter in south dakota has the single greatest guide there ever was. And that you had the distinct pleasure of being guided by him last year. Word is that he is making the trip back out there just to guide for you this year.

littleponderosa
    Participant

I know who this is — OH YEAH — good times hanging.  Ya dam sure put us on birds.

Bill

Folkenson
    Participant

I will be in the rice fields on Monday morning for the start of the conservation season here in Texas. I had fog at the house this morning and am praying for more on Monday.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Nice. Post up your report and pics on the Texas hunting reports after the hunt.

Todd
    Participant

Shot 3 on 2/2/13 in the afternoon had another pair in while putting out e-caller that i didn’t get. Saw 5 bunches total from 1230 til 530. my cousin shot one earlier in the day and saw 6 bunches before 1000. would have liked to been there all day to at least see what flew between 10 and 1230 also. The weatherman’s dusting of snow turned into 4 inches the next day and I didn’t go. A long season ahead and hopefully a good one.

littleponderosa
    Participant

Mound City fell apart.  Not sure what happened, but it ain’t.

Anyone know of open holes in the MO, AR, SD area the 1st weekend of Mar with a decent fitter?

Bill 

ANTHONY-SANTOLI
    Participant

well…. here we go again folks. lets get some snow goose reports going….

woohooo. they are saying banner hatch this year… 1.5 to 1, juvie / adult ratio…. that’s big time !!!!

littleponderosa
    Participant

Ok, MO is happening this year. Booked with upnorth outdoors and following up with goosehog in SD. MO hunt is gonna be a hoot – Skee with his family, Kjn and his buds, fella I used to work with and his son and a buddy of mine coming from MT. SD will be a little calmer – hoping Wade-O can show again with Yax, and mostly the same fellas as before.
    Still open thru Tuesday on geese up here.
    Bill

ANTHONY-SANTOLI
    Participant

Bill, when are you guys going to NW Missouri this year? Tell KJN hello for me. I am going to be South from Feb 5th-12th. I can give you guys some reports on what to expect as we get closer if you want.. good luck guys and gals

AS

littleponderosa
    Participant

Anthony, we set up for the end of the season. Kinda just worked out that way between the 2 ‘fitters and me. Should be hitting MO around the 11th or 12th of March. If you are interested in reporting, I’d be interested in reading them.
    Bill

Hannibal
    Participant

Will start moving gear to NW Missouri in the next couple of weekends. Plan to start hunting in early February and will continue through early April. Not every day but almost weekly for those two months. Attempting to remain a bit more mobile and stay in contact with some of the landowners in Iowa where I have access to some ground. I missed a few big feeds last year (of course the birds where there the week before). Looking forward to it and think about it about every hour of every day this time of year. Makes it hard to get anything done at times :) Will be running a permanent land/water spread at our place in Missouri and also have a couple of pretty good fields in NW Missouri to chase them around on so going to be a bit more mobile (when necessary) this year…….that is weather and rain dependent of course.

Good Luck fellas. Look forward to hearing the reports from down South Tony. I will try to keep you in the loop with regard to the NW MO and Iowa migration status.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed