Spring Snows

Home Forums Online Lodge Spring Snows

This topic contains 16 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Yu Yu 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Webmaster
    Webmaster
    Keymaster

Who’s hitting them? Where and when?

~ webmaster

Profile photo of Yu
    Yu
    Participant

I plan on hitting them in the lips but sometimes I am little farther back.

I like to hit them when they are within 20 yards with least a 30 degree rise above the horizon. I am not opposed to trying to hit them at 60-65 yards with a 90 degree vertical angle if nothing else is working spread and always before any consumption of a controlled substance.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

I took one of those vertical shots on the last WFC Arkansas outing.

A stray flock of snows came over at 60-ish yards and our guide said, “Bet those Heavy Shot Sixes wouldn’t do much good on those…”

I pulled up and fired one shot on the end bird. One wing snapped back and it did the controlled crash on the far end of the rice field.

The guide looked over at me smiling and said, “Shoulda kept my mouth shut… now I gotta go retrieve that.”

LOL.

Profile photo of jasonmn24
    jasonmn24
    Participant

Wish I could. Going to be a busy spring for me.

Profile photo of Yu
    Yu
    Participant

LOL

Black Cloud 3 inch # 2.

Down goes Frazer!

But I have a great dog to make that run.

Profile photo of DU870
    DU870
    Participant

I am out for this spring but hope to get after them next spring. There is outfitter in central Illinois that is running 13,000 full body decoys. I think I will see if has any openings next year and try that. They killed 3,600 snows last year, I figure I have a chance and getting into them with those kind of numbers. The last couple spring hunts have been kind of slow.

Profile photo of Dirt Clods Die Too
    Dirt Clods Die Too
    Participant

What’s his name, DU. I’m not far south of “central IL”….I’d a thought I’d have heard of or about this guy??

3600……That’s 120 birds in 30 days. Figure at best, if they start moving up say Feb. 15th, they’re likely done and gone come a month later on Mar. 15th?? He’s gotta avg. 120 a day?! We have a couple 100 – 120 days….but surely don’t avg that for a month??

13,000 full bodies gonna cover 5+ acres!!!??

Gonna need a name…..Tough to buy that??

Profile photo of dka
    dka
    Participant

Was in upper W. Tn. yesterday. Reelfoot locked up again. Only saw 2 big groups of snows and blues. One bunch of 2-3K tornadoing onto a lake just out of Trmble then another bunch of same size about a mile south of my pit.

Profile photo of ANTHONY-SANTOLI
    Anonymous

Guys,,, you can look up that massive spread guy online,,, that family is like world famous for their snows and decoys spread. There’s even aerial pics of it, and it is impressive. I guess the family has been hunting them and building the spread for years and years… he’s got a website too, I just do not know the name of it.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Here is the link to the guy with 13k full-bodies:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Show-Me-Your-Snows-Outdoors-Extreme-Snow-Goose-Hunting/359651730797710

He needs some help on Facebook though to shorten that address and make it a simple username URL.

Profile photo of Dirt Clods Die Too
    Dirt Clods Die Too
    Participant

I don’t doubt a bit someone compiling a 13,000 fb spread. What I do doubt is the kill numbers. Come on…..Again, that’s a month straight of 120+ birds??!!! A MONTH STRAIGHT! And, that’s in one field??!! You ain’t movin that rig once it’s out….I can assure you. Fields thawing would make field access other then with atv’s impossible to move that many…..

Webmaster
    Keymaster

Yeah, 120 per day in the same field, each and every day — hard to fathom.

What’s harder to imagine is that you could control a predictable landing zone in a spread that size.

If the wind changes direction, do we just send JC out to reset the spread?

🙂

Profile photo of DU870
    DU870
    Participant

From everything I have heard, Rick is legit. They have 350+ bird days. He spent a bucket load of money and bought all new hard core snows this year. They shipped them in sea containers and dropped them off with Semi’s. it took them weeks to un box them all. This year they have a second pit that is about 10 miles away with 8 or 10 thousand decoys.

They have landing strips that lead right to the pit and run a lot speakers. I think they hunt 8 from the pit. It would be sight to see. I was hoping to go in February but my wife and I had our first kid and that plan disappeared. I heard they are located between severely,large lakes and cooling ponds that hold a pile of birds.

Profile photo of DU870
    DU870
    Participant

I tried posting some pics from his website but I am new to this iPad. Check out his website, it is pretty crazy.

Profile photo of Kjnlog
    Kjnlog
    Participant

We’re gunna try em in March in Missouri. Lil Ponderosa hooked us up with a hunt with an outfitter he was familiar with. Gunna be hoot. The Thin H2O Raiders, them boys from Kintuck and Bill and a couple of his buddies. Lookin forward to this road trip. :mrgreen:

Profile photo of JC
    JC
    Participant

Be wary KJN…..if ya ain’t got 13,000 full body snows ya ain’t got sHit.

Profile photo of Yu
    Yu
    Participant

13,000 is a lot of full bodies for KJN to hit.

You think he’s Wilt Chamberlain or something?

I am not saying he don’t have game and wont it give a go but Wilt numbers is tough.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed