Wisco Teal Season

Home Forums Online Lodge Wisco Teal Season

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  DU870 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

DU870
    Participant

Wisconsin passed its early teal season. We get 7 days, 6 bird limit with a 9:00am opener time. Should be a good early fall with shooting geese, teal and dove from the same blind.

Dirt Clods Die Too
    Participant

9:00 a.m. opener??? WTF??? That’s gotta be the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard….?? The fukkin things done settled in somewhere by then…..Please tell me you can shoot til sunset at least??!!!

Also….make sure you got steel dove loads if you shooting while waterfowl hunting!!

DU870
    Participant

Haha, yea a 9:00 opener but the 2nd day is normal half hour before. I have to double check but I think we have to stop hunting at 7:00pm. The DNR is thinking the 9:00 opener will reduce the morons from shooting woodies, mallards and other ducks.

Yep, lots of steel shot. I hunt mainly public and you have to use steel for everything from dove to turkeys. I am thinking 3 inch mag 6’s for the all around shell. Shoot teal, dove and honkers. Just make sure to hit the honkers in the head!

Hannibal
    Participant

Yeah, bureaucrats at work once again……….who the hell would set a teal opener for 9am if they had an experience whatsoever in the field???? Those blue wings burn it up for the first hour and then are done unless you all plan to go around jump shooting them. The only other scenario where that won’t hurt is if it is rainy, windy……..essentially some bad weather!

At least they got it open for you.

Good luck.

K W
    Participant

Looks like Arkansas will be Sept. 13-28. Sunrise to sunset. I hate waiting until sunrise!

DU870
    Participant

The 9:00 opener stems from a hunting accident back in the day. I think it was in the 60’s. Some young kids were out in a boat hurrying to their spot when the boat capsized. At least one drowned maybe more. One of the kids was a son of politician. The politician then passed the 9:00 opener so people would be going out in the day light. I am not sure what the difference is between Saturday and then Sunday. Its a rat race every day of the season.

If you are hunting a large public area, the 9:00 opener keeps birds moving but overall really hurts the hunting. Sunday is normally a better day.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

I will say this about the standard NOON opener of the Wisconsin regular duck season — “You’ll never see that many ducks flying at high noon — any other time.”

🙂

DU870
    Participant

Thank goodness they got rid of the noon opener!

Swamp Gas
    Participant

We had noon on opener here in MN for many years. Then a few years ago it went to 9. Them finally standard 1/2 hour before sunrise.

Swamp Gas
    Participant

Our teal season got shot down AGAIN. Oh well. The fish should be biting.

DU870
    Participant

I read that Miinnneeeessssoootttta was the only state to shoot it down. Hopefully you guys will get it next year. I am curious to how long it will last in WIsconsin. If a certain number of non teal are shot, the season will be shut down the following year. Wisconsin has a lot of duck hunters that are the sharpest crayon in the box. A lot them are running around a brick shy of a load so we will see. I am thinking if the feds are out in force, we might not have it next year.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed