Wood Duck Houses

Home Forums Online Lodge Wood Duck Houses

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of JC JC 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DU870
    Participant

I can’t remember if I posted this here or not.

Checked the wood duck houses 2 weekends ago, out of the 11 houses, 4 had successful nest. 1 of the boxes actually had 2-3 nest hatched out of it. It was pretty cool to see. There was the top lawyer of down and egg shells and then as we cleaned it out, there was another layer of down and then more shells and then again more shells. All of the houses had nest, but the other 7 looked like other birds had gotten in there. There was one box with a successful wood duck nest and then another bird had nested on top of the wood duck nest.

Webmaster
    Keymaster

A couple of years back I’d shimmied 10 ft up a tree to clean and check the box.  Just below the box was a single branch I could hook my leg over to hold me while I cleaned the box.  As I flipped the lid a screech owl jumped out of the box onto the lid like a jack-in-the-box — hissing at me with bared talons.  Of course, instinctively pushed away from the box, lost my grip and swung upside down with only one leg holding me in the tree.

After the owl and I exchanged a few expletives, it flew off.  I think I pulled several muscles righting myself in the tree.  I quickly cleaned the box.  Closed the lid and left before it returned.

Good times.

:lol:

DU870
    Participant

Nice webbie!

We mounted these on 10 foot steel poles. They are all about 6-7 foot of the ground so they are a bit easier to clean. We did open them rather cautiously and knocked on them from behind just in case there was a critter in there :)

JC
    Participant

My old WI duck hunting bud Doc Larsen had the largest wood duck nesting project on his marsh property in all of North America back in the 70-80′s. Like 300+ boxes spread over 2200 acres. He did the most extensive 10 yr nesting study ever undertaken in conjunction w/ the U of WI. Helped him a few times on the winter nest clean-out. Drive a snowmobile w/ sled and ladder/tools….clean-out the box, login on side of box clean-out date and login journal the box # and observations. Pretty fukk’in cool but the brandy and schnapps was even more cool.

DU870
    Participant

That’s pretty cool JC, I wish more people had wood duck houses up. I am thinking about starting to build some more this winter. I wish the Gov would give me some project money, maybe a I get some prok barrel spending if the bridge to nowhere doesn’t go threw or if Nancy Pelosi’s slat marsh mouse gets eaten by a hawk. Building the boxes is not to bad but the steel pole, brackets and that stuff- it gets expensive in a hurry.

dka
    Participant

DU, scrounge around. Strip mall demo/reno are great for salvaging conduit in suitable lengths. Just check with the super and let him know what you are using them for and odds are they are yours for free.

DU870
    Participant

Thanks DKA- I looked into that a little, I talked to fence companies and a construction company and they told me they take it all for scrap metal. I might need the camo and night time run :)

JC
    Participant

Get the Boy Scouts involved(not you Irish, you’re on the molester list). I think there is now a merit badge for this. The Scouts build the houses and set them up, check them regularly and record results….you supervise. Now it’s easy to get the materials donated cuz it’s a Scout project, tax deductible. Crissake, I gotta do all the thinking around here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.